Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A Wild Child!

Just finished this wild-haired kid......she's been packed up and sent off. She was made using my "Moxie" pattern and face-mask. Now I'm busy pre-making the little rabbit child heads for my class in Tooradin next week.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Finding Poetry.......

In a chat with a friend over coffee this week, I happened to say that I wrote the odd did she. But my poems are all over the place - written on scraps, on the backs of envelopes, in recipe books and in various old sketchbooks.......all kinds of places.
      Well, one thing tends to lead to another and as I was looking through my pile of sketchbooks in order to find an old sketch for an entirely different reason, I found a few of the "lost" poems. Encouraged, I delved deeper and I managed to find quite a few. Not wanting to "misplace" them again, I copied them into a dedicated book: 

                         Poems.....In No Particular Order. 

I'll keep adding to it as more come to light.

I'm a bit self-conscious about my word-morsels (aka poems) and I'm not quite ready to share them, but here are some of the sketches I came across in my search for lost poems.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015


I've just been working on the next piece in my "Imagined Poet" series for my exhibition in August. This kind of looks finished, but it's not - I haven't painted the back!

This piece is called "Smallwings". It's about 60 cms all up.

Friday, May 8, 2015

A Little Brown Rabbit........

Here's my little brown rabbit child - the second doll I've made using this pattern, which I have devised for an up-coming class. I thought I'd better make sure there were no bugs in the design (I don't think there are). It is quite an easy pattern using my "small child head" with a flange at the neck for jointing (the head turns). The most difficult part is painting the head, because it is quite small - this doll is only 23 cms tall to the tips of the ears.

 I decided to use the same cotton print fabric that I used for the dress, to make the paw pads and the ear linings and I used thinned down brown acrylic paint to stain the fabric. I really like this simple blue and white spotted cotton fabric. The body fabric is a viscose pile fabric with a woven (non-stretchy) backing.

 I love that very worried, serious expression that small children get on their faces when they are really trying to understand something that baffles them - I tried to replicate that expression in this doll's face.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...