Sunday, May 15, 2011

I'm Back!

I'm back home after a wonderful trip to the US. I managed to avoid hurricanes and floods, although it was the wettest Spring on record in Columbus. The AFIC Conference went really well - I had a wonderful, focussed class with a number of the students finishing their pieces in the three days, which was great. The atmosphere at the conference was buzzing and energetic with plenty going on all the time outside class time. Thanks must go to the indefatiguable Cyndy Sieving for her fantastic skills at organizing and running such a wonderful event. If you are at all tempted to attend in 2013, start saving and do it! You will have a great time, meet some wonderful people and learn a lot!
Here are some pictures from the class at AFIC:

Emily Eckel's wonderful w.i.p.

Cody Goodin's fabulous figure almost completed

Kristen Strand-Tibbets great idea taking shape

Hard at work
I wish I had taken more pictures, or at least more that weren't duds!

Here's a picture of The Ladies In Orange at the Hat and Heels banquet - Gypsy Pamela Armas and Peggy from Taos:


The class at Annie Hesse's place in Florida was also terrific - I loved what those gals came up with. When I am teaching,  what I really like to do is to create an atmosphere where I can simply pass a baton (an idea; a technique or two) and then watch as the students take the baton and run with it, with bit of help where needed. That happened with both of these classes. It was great.

I had a bit of spare time on this trip, so I spent some of it with my good friend Linda Apple in Columbus. She is a talented painter and she also makes wonderful art dolls usually with a fair dose of quirky humour. Check out her work here: http://applearts.com/
We have a lot in common, so we spend time bouncing ideas off each other as we work. Here are some of the pieces I managed to get made in that arty hothouse atmosphere:


8 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for posting about the conference! Fun seeing a bit of class atmosphere. Sure would like to attend!

Kristen Strand said...

That was a wonderful conference , and I am still basking in all the creative energy!

Glad to hear you made it back home safe and sound.

Cody Goodin said...

Glad to hear you are home safe and sound. I had the most wonderful time in your class and thank you and Cyndy for making it possible. Now if I could just get my motivation going again. I miss all my art doll buddies.

Linda Apple said...

Hey gal,
Well it's great to hear you are home safe and sound....been thinking about ya. The sweat shop is still running but not as much fun!!!! Got some new tiny ones I'm working on. Big hugs

bensonbear said...

Hey big Sis, so glad you're back safe'n'sound! Looks like you had a great trip, and productive. I'll try to get over to see you soon....Hugs X

Anonymous said...

Susie! I had a blast in your class and it was wonderful getting to meet you! As soon as my studio is put back in order, I will be working on using some of my new skills!
Peace,
Joyce

Mary C. Nasser said...

The conference looks amazing!!

So glad I found you through the miz kate dot com Artist blog hop!
I am your newest blog follower. :)
Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!

Best,
Mary C. Nasser
http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

Dena said...

Susie thank you. Thank you for sharing your 'making a doll' photos.

I first saw one of your art pieces, I think in the clay and cloth doll group, and I was inspired but not ready to act and I did not find your sites until I saw you in the epoxy clay group. It's funny because am a(very new) doll maker and think I was ready to appreciate what you do and that is why I was able to see it now.

I am grateful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...