Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ophelia




I have joined a rather wonderful online group called ADO art dolls only, which was started as a networking group for artists who sell their work on Etsy. The group is quite active and has been promoting a few challenges to help get the creative juices flowing - one of the challenges is "Much ADO about Shakespeare" - the challenge being to create a doll of a character or characters from the plays of the Bard himself. I have always wanted to do an 'Ophelia' - here was the catalyst - but I didn't have too much time to get it done. I compromised by making a bust mounted on a piece of weathered turned wood that I found on the beach (been saving it for years - knew I'd use it one day!)
Here is the finished piece - head is paperclay with cloth overlay painted with acrylics; hair and cap are cotton, stiffened and painted, and the fabbric at the neckline is silk.

16 comments:

Rebecca said...

Susie, Ophelia is one of your most beautiful sculpts ever! She looks like she has come right out of the sea, beautiful painting too! Perfection! Becky

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

Breathtaking! Boy, you work like a house a'fire! I cannot get as much done in a year as you seem to do in a month!

I'm in awe, she's so stunning.

Flor Larios Art said...

Wow! Gorgeous...her expression...her skin...her eyes...and the hair...

Kaerie Faerie said...

She is so beautiful, I wish I could get my paperclay to work that well.

Казкова майстерня said...

wow! She is beatiful

Cody Goodin said...

Just awesome Susie. I love your command of the paper clay medium.

The Primitive Soul said...

Susie, This is a Master Piece. I love your work and admire your talent. Carmen

bensonbear said...

Susie, your Ophelia is absolutely stunning! Amazing xx

Wilma Simmons (Empress Wu Designs) said...

Just the way I imagine Ophelia ... you captured her essence - an innocent beauty with that tinge of sadness and tragedy. Fantastic work.

Sprite said...

Wow, she is stunning Susie. Each of your pieces, one after the other.. just amazing.

I'm also doing Ophelia, but very slowly ;)

Hugs,
Sprite

Judith said...

A beautiful work Susie. A work to be proud of.
Judith

Paulette said...

Everything about her is beautiful.
Hugs,

Shashi Nayagam said...

Your sculpts are awesome. They have so much of depth and feeling wow I love them

Susie McMahon said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments.....I really appreciate it! I must say I am quite pleased with this piece....usually when I finish something there is always a part that annoys me, or that I wish I'd done differently - so far that hasn't happened with 'Ophelia'.

Atticbabys said...

What a fabulous Ophelia Susie!
I can see why you'd be pleased with her , but then I feel that way about all your dolls!!!
Nan

Imagikal said...

I am in awe. Your a very talented artist! I love this piece! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...