Sunday, October 19, 2014

Rummaging.........

People often ask to look inside my journals.......I don't actually mind this too much, but it can feel like someone is rummaging around in my brain, because my journal is my thinking tool.....the place where I work things out and sometimes write or draw some fairly personal stuff. I have journals that go back to 1969.......that is a a lot of years of recorded thought! One day I might get them all out and try and put them in chronological order and just have a bit of a wander through my past ("The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there" - L.P. Hartley) Now I kind of wish I'd used a standard shape and size for all my journals, so they could be neatly shelved in an orderly manner, but I haven't, so that cannot be - that might be a bit of a metaphor for how I do things generally, actually - mis-matched, odd-sized and out of order, but it is what is is. 
Here is a page spread from my current journal and the beginnings of some new work generated by those ideas:




2 comments:

merrijane said...

One of my favourite aspects of an artist's work is their process. Susie, thanks for sharing. :)

Susie McMahon said...

Thanks Merrijane......I love looking at the working processes of others, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...