Sunday, August 7, 2011

This 'n That on a Cold Wet Day

Well, it's cold and miserable here today in what I hope will almost be winter's last hurrah. Last week felt positively spring-like and things are definitely on the move in the garden, but this week is a different story: here's the view out of my studio window.


I went to a wonderful felting workshop in Deviot on Sunday conducted by Bettina Hockey - we learned how to make felted forms using the resist method. I already had a rudimentary knowledge of feting principles, but it was great to learn a new application in a convivial group! I made a doll-sized beret and a small purse/mobile phone case - forgot to take my camera, so I couldn't photograph what the others in the class made.


I've also been making a few of these "Sukeshi" dolls - I call them that because they are based on those simple Japanese skittle-shaped wooden kokeshi dolls - I added the "Su" for me.



PS: Please enter my 30 000 blog views giveaway if you haven't already - details are on the Aug 3rd post.


10 comments:

Jo in TAS said...

I love the little piece on the beret, very cute. Your susheki dolls are adorable too.

Wilma Simmons (Empress Wu Designs) said...

Being a fan of kokeshi, I love your sukeshi. The simplicity of form and your art make these stunning dolls.

JDConwell said...

Cool. Someday people will call something a Sukeshi Doll and not even know where the name came from. ;~)

Penny said...

I have a small collection of Kokeishi dolls, like the look of you sukeishi dolls.

maddyrose said...

They are darling dolls. I love the way you've painted them. The felting turned out rather nice.

Unknown said...

The beret is adorable and love the phone pocket. Susheki dolls are AWESOME! I love the designs...

hugz

Mary Ann Tate said...

It sure looks wet and cold. I wouldn't mind a bit of cold right now. It's too darn hot and humid here. Your sukeshi dolls are very interesting. Really different and original:)

Chris said...

Enjoying [!] similar weather here in Victoria Susie, love your Sukeshi" dolls.

merrijane said...

I think these Sukeshi dolls are just gorgeous!

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Your Sukeshi dolls are so adorable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...