Friday, September 6, 2013

It's Here!...........It's Here! And An Exciting Announcement...........


After a month of almost incessant rain, which broke all August records, Spring was heralded by a number of warm, sunny days. Right on the dot. The swallows are back, having arrived about a week earlier than usual and you can almost hear things growing (especially the weeds!). So I have been very busy in the garden planting vegetables and getting things under control. Mulch is my friend!

I had a birthday last week.........and look what my sister Linda made for me:


Isn't he the best?

He's all of about four inches high, seated. You can check out more of her work on her blog: http://bensonbears.blogspot.com 


This is a new doll I am working on - she's going to be finished in a very monochromy kind of way - like an old sepia photograph. I'm going to use the piece of fine old Irish crochet in her clothing somehow.


And I've been working very hard to get my studio re-configured to include a small gallery area, because I am one of ten artists on the West Tamar who will be opening their studios/galleries to the public this summer as part of the Tamar Valley Art Trail. (Check out the FB page: http://facebook.com/tamarvalleyarttrail ) The official launch will be in December, but I think most of the spaces will be open before that.  I am planning to be a "working studio" - people can come and see me work, but I will also have a number of my works on display: sculpture, dolls, paintings and drawings. I will also be displaying a selection of Bob's wonderful landscape photographs. I'm excited! I'll post some pictures as soon as I get it all done.








8 comments:

Kays Kids said...

Susie, your daring little polar bear is so special. I love him. Well of course I'm biased because I love all of Linda's work. Your Sepia doll sounds great, I hope you enjoy your working studio.
Hugs
Kay

Susie McMahon said...

Yes, I'm lucky aren't I Kay? I have a nice collection of bears made by Linda and also my older sister, Jan.
As for the working studio.......nothing ventured, nothing gained! And I have a huge space, so I should try and put it to good use.

Jenny said...

What a gorgeous bear.
I would love to have a working studio that people could visit, I don't have a huge space, interesting but not huge. Good luck with it.

KittyAnn said...

Sounds like wonderful fun Susie, the working studio and gallery combined, good luck! We had torrential rains in my part of the world, the southeast US, whereas just a couple of years ago we had no rain at all! Never know what Mother Nature will throw at us, be prepared is what my Mom & G'ma would have said. :0) Love the bear, I collect bearies too, they love snuggling with my dolls! Best to you, Ani

canngil said...

Happy Birthday, and congratulations on your new studio and enterprise!
Cathy G.
Brea, Ca

Susie McMahon said...

Thanks all......Jenny - come and visit!

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Wow both you and your sister are so incredibly talented!
Lucky you to be setting up a studio, that has been a dream of mine for many years! I will keep my eyes open for posts of your new work! Enjoy your Spring, here it is already cool and rainy and the leaves will start to change any day now....*sigh*.

Tina xo

Hill Top Post said...

Three talented sisters...what fun! Linda's critters are just wonderful...so life-like. Your new doll has a different look,one that I really like. Congrats on your studio/gallery selection as part of the Tamar Valley Art Trail! Now, send us some rain!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...