Friday, September 7, 2012

A Big Week!

Well, dear readers, it's been a pretty big week for me - it was my birthday........and to my utter surprise, I find I am now sixty years old! How did THAT happen? Seems like only a few yesterdays ago that I was a student, a young mother, a young grandmother. (I'm pleased to report that greatgrandmotherhood has not happened yet - and I hope it doesn't for a few years yet - though with my eldest grandchild approaching nineteen, who knows?)

So I had a lovely day shared with some special friends, even though the weather was pretty wild  and typical of Spring in Tasmania ("In like a lion, out like a lamb" they say - hope that's right).

Here's what I spent yesterday doing, after dropping my husband at the airport at 5:00am - he's headed off to the Flinders Ranges in SA for a few weeks of rock-climbing. With Resident Grand-daughter also heading off tomorrow for a week in Queensland, I have a week of solitary bliss stretching out in front of me. For me, that means not much cooking or housework and uninterrupted hours in the studio with the fire blazing! I should get lots done.




This piece is still a work in progress - plenty to do on it yet. I wonder if you can work out what some of the unusual things are that I have incorporated into this piece?

11 comments:

Rhissanna said...

Happy Birthday! And having the time and space just to sit and make dolls by the fire, sounds like the best present ever!

Jan Conwell said...

Well Hello Fellow Virgo. :~) My birthday is today, (49) and it is always a surprise, isn't it? Your new work is breathtaking.

manomij said...

Happy Birthday!!! Ooooh I wished I could spend uninterupted time in the studio. I can't wait to see what you will create!

Sherri Farley said...

Happy Birthday Susie, I turned 60 on Sept 4th. Not my favorite birthday but, like you, I have much to be thankful for!! Beautiful work!

Cody Goodin said...

As with a fine wine, you simply get better with each passing year my dear. Love the new work. Are those porcupine quills emanating from the scalp? It was hard to tell with my bad eyes.

Penny said...

Happy Birthday! Your artfulness is just overwhelming. I love this piece to pieces! A week of pure creativity - what a gift.

Susie McMahon said...

Thanks dear friends! Cody - you are almost spot on.......bad eyes notwithstanding. They are echidna quills. Echidnas are those sweet, spiky little monotremes (egg laying mammals like platypuses). And no, I didn't have to kill one to get these - I BOUGHT them!
And happy birthday Jan and Sherri - Virgos rock!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Susie, I think the older you grow the more experienced you get, just look at the amazing art you do. Yeah, lots of Virgo around here, my birthday was September 5th!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to you - hope you have a great week. Good thing your hubby wasn't here last week, the weather was terrible.

Ron said...

Happy Belated Birthday Susie!

Wilma Simmons (Empress Wu Designs) said...

Belated happy birthday - I was 62 this year this year and when I thought of being 60, I was a little worried for a moment - but really, it's brought with it more time to do exactly what I want to do - enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...